The first training of the USU Mental Health First Aid program is scheduled for April 22 and registration will open soon.
These workshops are open to anyone who wants to learn more about how to help others experiencing mental health challenges. Especially encouraged to attend: persons in leadership or positions of influence within USU and the community.
The Adult Mental Health First Aid course is appropriate for anyone 18 years and older who wants to learn how to help a person who may be experiencing a mental health related crisis or problem. Topics covered include anxiety, depression, psychosis, and addictions.
Youth Mental Health First Aid is designed to teach parents, family members, caregivers, teachers, school staff, peers, neighbors, health and human services workers, and other caring citizens how to help an adolescent (age 12-18) who is experiencing a mental health or addictions challenge or is in crisis. Youth Mental Health First Aid is primarily designed for adults who regularly interact with young people. The course introduces common mental health challenges for youth, reviews typical adolescent development, and teaches a 5-step action plan for how to help young people in both crisis and non-crisis situations. Topics covered include anxiety, depression, substance use, disorders in which psychosis may occur, disruptive behavior disorders (including AD/HD), and eating disorders.
Both adult and youth Mental Health First Aid courses are 8 hours long and feature:
8-Hour Mental Health First Aid Certification Program Includes:
- In-depth and highly interactive presentation of mental health and substance use disorders.
- Review of risk factors and prevalence of specific disorders.
- Recognition of the signs and symptoms of mental illness and substance use.
- Discussion of workplace trauma.
- Skills practice using 21 group activities, including case studies for assessing risk and nonjudgmental listening.
- Identification of and practice in providing appropriate resources.
- Review of how to de-escalate difficult situations.
- Certification in Mental Health First Aid.